Monday, August 23, 2010

Greek-ish Kale Skillet

Some feta cheese caught my eye at the grocery store, so I ended up with that and the kalamatta olives. Everything else I had on hand. Pine nuts, I keep in the freezer and use as needed. The hominy, was opened couple days ago for another kale meal.

If I were to do it over, I’d leave out the hominy and the black grapes, and increase the tomato. This would simplify the constellation of flavors and make for a simpler dish. When I put the 3 Tbsp. of pine nuts in the pan to toast them, I thought they looked like a small number (this is the serving size per the package). But once on top of the meal, they were plenty! This meal was pretty good, as is. Any attempt at redo would be to knock off calories and simplify the set of flavors.

Saute:
1/2 tsp. Coconut oil
1 C. Onion, chopped
1 tsp. Garlic, minced

Add and saute:
1 Roma Tomato, chopped
4 Grape Tomatoes, halved
12 Black Grapes, halved
1/2 C. Hominy
7 Basil. fresh leaves, chopped
1 tsp. Thyme, fresh, leaves

Add, cover and wilt as desired:
1 C. Kale, chopped to bite size pieces
2/3 C. Swiss Chard, chopped to bite size pieces
1.5 oz White Wine

Serve and top with:
6, Kalamatta olives, pitted, halved
1/4-1/3 C. Feta Cheese crumbles
3 Tbsp. Pine Nuts, toasted

Rated a 4.25 on the Kale Scale.