Saturday, August 7, 2010

Freezing Kale - Yes You Can!

My method of freezing prep might short-cut what a person experienced in food preservation would do. But, my intention with freezing kale is to keep it for a week; to make it easy to grab some kale that is ready-to-go into the saute pan or salad bowl.

  • Washing kale - yes, need to do. Wash the whole leaves. Shake off excess. Rip up kale leaves into bite size pieces. Use salad spinner to further dry the leaves.

  • Should one blanch the leaves? You can, but you don't have to. I blanched one bag of kale and didn't blanch the rest. I found that the blanched leaves were a brighter green, even after freezing, but to me, no difference in flavor. At least in the recipe I used the kale in.

  • Whether blanched or just spun in the salad spinner, I further dried off the leaves by rolling them up in several sheets of paper towel, and gently squashed to get droplets of water off the leaves.

  • After washing, ripping, optional blanching, drying, I measured a packed Cup - weighed out to around 55 grams. This is packed like you'd pack brown sugar for a baking recipe. Stuff the leaves in there.

  • Then place this packed cup of leaves into a ziploc bag and toss in
    the freezer. When ready to use, the kale thaws out almost immediately, just sitting on the cutting board awaiting use in a saute pan. I haven't tried the frozen kale in a salad yet.

  • I used frozen kale in my dinner last night. Worked perfectly. The recipe was a re-do of Wednesday and Thursday's Toful and Kale experiments. I used up the leftover tofu scramble, corn, diced tomatoes, and fake meatballs. I didn't post the recipe since it was so much like the other two.

    Freezing kale rates a 5 on the Kale Scale for ease of use!