Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Kale & Fig Salad


I saw some figs for sale at the local health food store (organic, of course) and they looked so good I bought 4 of them to use with some kale for dinner tonight. The rest of the ingredients I had on hand. I used more kale than usual because it wasn't enough to leave for another meal. Calorie and fat wise, the almonds and the dressing sent this over the top. But, a very tasty combo. So if done again, I'd drop the almonds, reduce the dressing. Possibly use only 1/2 the fruit.

Build salad in 2-3 layers with some of these ingredients in each layer:

4 figs, chopped up (each one into 12ths)
1 red pear, chopped up
1.5 C Kale, ripped into bite size pieces
1 clementine orange, peeled and chopped
1 BabyBel cheese round, lite, slivered in pieces

Top with:

28 almonds, chopped up in nut chopper
2 Tbsp. olive oil and balsamic vinegar dressing

Serve.

Rated a 4.6 on the Kale Scale.