Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Fruit Smoothie

This was a bit over the top in using up some fruit in the fridge. Since I only used 1 cup of Kale, and my intention was to eat the kale....I drank the whole smoothie which turned out to be about 3.75 cups. Didn't do it in one sitting, but over the course of an evening.  I did get 100% of my protein for the day!  I had just been to the State Fair and watched the Vita-Mix sales pitch - so I was inspired. But, all I have is an old Waring Blender. However, I was impressed with it's ability to make the smoothie.

In blender, liquefy:
1 cup Kale, ripped to bite size pieces
2/3 cup Skim milk

Add, one fruit at a time, and liquefy after each addition:
1 medium Peach, chopped
1 fruit Nectarine, chopped
1 fruit Kiwifruit, fresh, raw, medium, peeled, chopped
1 fruit Plum, chopped

Add and take a taste:
6 oz Yogurt, Greek non-fat plain, Chobani

If it's not sweet enough or too yogurty (which it was for me), then add:
1 small Banana, peeled
1 fruit Clementine, peeled, chopped

Rated a 4.45 on the Kale Scale. I would have rated it higher, but the calorie count was too high in order to down 1 cup of kale. Next time I'll reduce the fruit and yogurt.