Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Kale with Fruit in Buttermilk Saute

The buttermilk was for some mashed potatoes that I made, and since I had some left, I thought, how can I use that with some kale. This was the result.

Carmelized the onions to go into the mashed potatoes, and I save 1/4 cup to go with the kale.

Saute
2 tsp olive oil
2 Brussel Sprouts, chopped up.
1/4 cup onion (previously chopped and carmelized)

Add, and cover, lower heat
1/4 pear, cored, chopped (leave the peel on)
1 persimmon, Fuyu or Japanese, short squat one, peeled, cored, chopped
Dashes of chili powder, ras el hanout
2 Tbsp water

Steam for 1.5 minutes
1+ cup kale, ripped to bite size pieces

Add, stir in
1/4 to 1/3 cup buttermilk - it just disappears into the veggie mix

Add, cover, wilt as desired
Steamed kale

Mix it all together and serve.

Rated a 4.68 on the Kale Scale.