Monday, January 28, 2013

Kale with Broccolini and Brussel Sprouts

Started out thinking I didn't have any kale tonight, and given that what was the next best thing - brussel sprouts... not the next best thing, like a favorite, but the next best thing nutrition wise. After more than a year of this, I can say that I like kale better than something ... brussel sprouts!

After I got everything going, simmering, I remembered - I froze some kale before my last vacation in October!  I pulled that out of the freezer, and voila - another kale concoction was created.

Saute
2 tsp olive oil
1/3 cup onion, chopped up
3 brussel sprouts, chopped up
1 small sweet red pepper, chopped up

After a bit, add
2/3 cup pineapple, raw, unsweetened, chopped up
1/2 cup broccolini florets
2-3 Tbsp water or other liquid
Dashes of each - chili powder, ground pepper, turmeric, Mrs Dash

Serve with
2-3 Tbsp non-fat greek yogurt, plain
1-2 tsp dukkah
1-2 tsp parmesan cheese, grated
1 tsp worcestershire sauce


Rated a 4.59 on the Kale Scale