Sunday, September 15, 2013

Date Crumbles Tame Brussel Sprouts with Kale

The weather turned autmun like - yeah!  I can get back to making Kale side dishes on the stove stop.  I found that pineapple works well to make brussel sprouts palatable, but no pineapple today. What to do? I looked around and found some date crumbles I have from Bob's Red Mill - they have no added sugar, and are dusted with oat flour.

Soak
1/4 cup date crumbles in couple Tbsp of water. Set aside.

Saute
1/3 cup onion, chopped up
 2 tsp olive oil

Add and continue saute
1 red pepper, cut up
2 brussel sprouts, cut up

Add and simmer a bit
Dated crumbles and the water they were soaked in.
1 Tbsp Fig Balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp white wine

Add, cover and wilt
1-2 cups kale, ripped to bite size pieces (I ended up with about 2 cups today!)
Another 1 Tbsp of white wine and bit of water to keep the steam coming

Mix it all up an serve with a splash of Worcestershire sauce


Rated a 4.73 on the Kale Scale.