Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Date with a Pepper

Decided I needed to actually eat food, not just drink my kale tonight. I was inspired by the yellow pepper that should have been in my lunch, but wasn't because I got up too late to make my lunch. The inclusion of the dates - just a hunch in the moment.  The sherry simmer, plus the dates and ginger made for a unique flavor. Very nice!

Saute
2 tsp olive oil
1/3 cup onion, cut up
1.25 tsp raw ginger, peeled and sliced thin

Add and continue sauté
1 yellow pepper, cut up
4 dates, cut up
3 slices lean Canadian bacon, cut up
1/8 tsp each of chili powder, ground cumin
1/4 tsp each of ground cinnamon, ground pepper, Mrs Dash

Add and simmer
1 oz cooking sherry

Steam for 2 minutes in microwave
1 cup kale, ripped up to bite size

While kale steams, fry
1 egg in the middle of the pan with the veggies

Serve the egg and veggies on top of the steamed kale.

Rated a 4.64 on the Kale Scale.