Monday, February 25, 2013

Kale Couscous with Seasoned Vegies and Egg

I had a red pepper left over from my sack lunch which started the collection of vegies for this meal. I also wanted some protein, thus the inclusion of the egg. I needed some liquid to help steam the kale, and all I had that was interesting was coconut water. An odd, but workable flavor in this seasoned dish.

I used the L&D Spanish Style Seasoning which is composed of ground cumin seeds, corn meal, California and Chili corander seed, Oregano, Black Pepper, Cloves, and garlic. It is produced by Patterson's, Red Bluff, Ca and sold in the Olive Pit where I bought it in June.  And then topped the concoction with salsa.
 
Saute
2 tsp olive oil
1/3 cup onion, chopped up
2.5 brussel sprouts, chopped up

Add and continue to saute
1 sweet red pepper, chopped up
8 olives, halved (green, castelvetrano)
2/3 cup couscous, cooked
1/2 cup coconut water

As steam rises, add, cover and wilt
1+ cup Kale, ripped up to bite size pieces.

Stir it all around, mix it up, and make an opening in the middle of the pan.

Add and fry, over hard is my preference
1 egg
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp L&D Spanish Style Seasoning

Serve, by putting the vegies on plate, top with egg and salsa.

Rated a 4.69 on the Kale Scale.