Friday, March 1, 2013

Eggplant Scallopini Marsala Variation

I guess it's winter that makes Eggplant taste better. I see that January 2012, I made a batch of Eggplant Scallopini Marsala from the Moosewood Restaurant Cookbook, and again this month, I tried this recipe again. But with some variations.

Instead of making pasta, I steamed 1+ cups of kale and used that along with 2/3 cup of cooked couscous as the bed for the eggplant mixture. Also, the recipe calls for mushrooms, and I substituted a yellow pepper.

This recipe serves 4. I used one serving - the nutrition info is for 1 serving, served on a bed of steamed kale and topped with 1 tbsp of Egyptian dukkah.

Saute until onion is translucent (about 8 min):
2 tbspolive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 bay leaf

Add, cover and cook until eggplant is soft (about 15 min):
1 eggplant unpeeled, diced
1 medium yellow pepper, sweet, chopped
1 Tbsp basil, dried, crumbled

Add, Uncover and cook until liquid is absorbed (about 15 min):
1 tsp black pepper, ground
1 tbsp garlic, raw, minced, -
14.5 oz tomato, diced, canned
6 oz cooking sherry

Rated a 4.62 on the Kale Scale