Sunday, March 3, 2013

Orange Glazed Tofu on Steamed Kale

I've had the tofu for a week, and decided today is the day.  I varied a recipe from Natural Health magazine - one in my archives that I'd never tried before. The original is Orange Glazed Tofu and Turnips - gee, I didn't have turnips. I subbed with fingerling potatoes. I'm pretty sure it tastes better this way!

The recipe serves 4. Nutrition count is for 1 serving. (In reality, I used about 1/3 of the recipe for my meal, but technically, I loaded up my plate..)

Prepare and set aside in a cup
3/4 C orange juice
2 Tbsp soy sauce, lite

Prepare and set aside in a bowl
2 tsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp ginger root, freshly grated
3/4 C onion, chopped
1/2 tsp red pepper, ground
1 sweet red pepper, chopped

Prepare for use
14 oz tofu, extra firm, patted dry, cut into cubes

Saute and cook until tofu is browned, about 6-8 minutes, and then set aside
1 Tbsp olive oil
Tofu sprinkle with:
Mrs Dash, 1/2 tsp
Chili powder, 1/4 tsp

Saute for 3-5 minutes
3/4 Tbsp olive oil
5 fingerling potatoes, chopped up

Add and continue to saute for another 4-5 minutes
Garlic and onion mixture

Add, and reduce the sauce by simmering on medium for 4-6 minutes
Orange juice and soy sauce

Add and continue to reduce the sauce until tofu and potatoes are nicely covered/glazed.
the cooked tofu

Serve on a bed of
1+cup kale, steamed.


Rated a 4.699 on the Kale Scale.