Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Brussel Sprout Kale with Egg and Spices

This started with a review of the supplies in refrigerator. That half and half is still good, but then I found in the freezer, frozen corn, and a bag of frozen kale. Both something I had bagged up before a little vacation 2 weeks ago. Found a couple little potatoes, and to my dismay, more brussel sprouts. So I left the half and half out of the deal, and here's what I did.  This was a good camouflage for the sprouts, too.

Saute:
2 tsp olive oil
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1 tsp garlic, minced
3 brussel sprouts, chopped
2 fingerling potatoes, halved lengthwise and sliced thin crosswise
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp Mrs Dash
1 tsp zaartar (thyme and other spices. Mediterranean mix)

Add, lower to simmer and cover:
.5 oz white wine
3 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 oz water

After about 5 minutes, add, cover and wilt:
1.15 cup kale, ripped to bite size pieces. I used frozen. By the time I was ready for this step, it was almost thawed. Just put it all in and it will be cooked.
1/2 cup corn kernels (these too, frozen, but thawed in the simmer)
2 tsp sherry
2 Tbsp water

Make room in the middle and fry one egg.
Add more pepper

Serve with couple shakes of worcestershire sauce.


Rated a 4.58 on the Kale Scale.