Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Kale and Z'aatar Chx

The spice z'aatar from Middle East is thyme, sesame seed and some other stuff. I've done several versions of "Z'aatar Chicken." Tonight I was cooking up about 3/4 lb of thin sliced, with intentions of putting a little piece in my lunch each day this week. In making the chicken, I shake the pieces in a bag with some of the z'aatar, cinnamon, cardamon, coriander, chili powder, chinese five spice, nutmeg. I alter the choice of spices each time. Usually doing about 1/2 to 1/4 tsp for each, except the z'aatar which is usually about 2-3 tsp. Shake and fry in 1-2 tsp olive oil. 

Steam/wilt in microwave for up to 2 minutes:
1 cup Kale
1/4 cup peas
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp white wine
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp Mrs Dash
Sprinkle of water if needed to help with the steaming

After steaming, add:
2 tsp parmesan, grated
2 Tbsp chopped walnut

Serve with 1/3 cup of already prepared Z'aatar Chicken.

Rated a 4.6 on the Kale Scale.