Saturday, November 26, 2011

Curry Squash Kale

This started with a recipe from Sunset Magazine for Cashew, coconut, and pumpkin curry. I was catching up on my reading saw 2-3 reader letters raving about this vegan recipe. So dug up the recipe. I didn't have a pumpkin, but I did have an acorn squash which I substituted in. Here is the jist of the recipe - I cut the magazine version in half and made 2 servings. I am listing the ingredients for 1 serving.  The rice pushes the calorie count by about 175!  Next time I'll leave out the rice.

Cook basmati rice.

Cook acorn squash in microwave until it's about 2/3 done, so that you can still get some cubes out of it. Follow your oven's instructions.  Use 1/2 of the squash.

Saute until brown
2-3 tsp olive oil
1/4 onion, sliced

Add and continue for a minute:
1 Tbsp  diced green chiles (canned)
1/2 tsp  cinnamon
1/2 tsp  turmeric
1/2 tsp  cumin seed
1/2 tsp  curry powder

Add and cook until squash is soft, and spices meld together:
3 oz of coconut milk (lite) 
1 bay leaf
1/2 acorn squash, cubed (to the extent you can get cubes out of the cooked squash; otherwise use the squash scrapings)

Cook 1 cup Kale (in bite size pieces) in microwave for 90 seconds.

Serve by putting kale on the plate, top with about 3/4 cup cooked rice and then top with the curry squash mixture, and then top with 1/4 cup roasted cashews.


Rated a 4.646 on the Kale Scale.