Friday, July 23, 2010

Kaled Muesli

Had some extra time this morning which prompted me to consider how I could add some kale to breakfast. I usually have muesli or oatmeal (both from Bob's; it's the best). I upped the serving size of the muesli to 1/3 c from 1/4 c to have enough to mix with the kale. I weighed the kale after I stuffed it in the 1/2 C measure and it came out to 21 grams. I thought the pecans would be an needed item to help get this mixture down - but, really, wasn't necessary. When I eat my muesli and fruit, I am usually grabbing a bit of yogurt with a bite full of muesli on my spoon. The kale didn't get in the way of my muesli, and I could probably have added a cup and gotten my daily serving out of the way.

1/3 C Muesli, Bob’s Red Mill
3 Strawberries
50 Blueberries
½ C Kale, ripped to bite size pieces
14 Pecan halves, chopped
up to ¼ C Water, boiling

1 C yogurt, Dannon Lit’n’Fit Vanilla, optional. (The nutrition info includes the yogurt.)


Put the muesli in a bowl. Pour in just enough hot water to moisten. Stir and let sit.
Put kale in a steamer and steam for 2-3 minutes, or as desired.
Chop strawberries and put on top of muesli. Add blueberries.
Add steamed kale. Mix it all up. Serve.

Optional – serve with yogurt.

Rated a 4 on Kale Scale.